Friday, November 18, 2016

Mrs. Harrison Weekly Letter

November 18, 2016
Dear Kiddos,
         I am not sure where to begin my letter this week.  I have so many thoughts swirling around in my head.  Some weeks I am able to write with ease; however, this week hasn’t been easy. 
         As you all know, I missed two days this week because I was at a conference.  I never know what to expect when I go to a conference.  Honestly, sometimes I gain valuable information while other times I leave feeling like my time was wasted.  The later is never a good feeling, and I hope you never leave feeling like your day was wasted at school! 
Lucky for me (and you), The Leader In Me conference was a good one!  I was able to attend meetings, talk to other teachers, visit a school, and listen to an inspiring speaker.  Lisa Fenn, a former ESPN producer, told the story of her unlikely family bond with Dartanyon Crockett and Leroy Sutton.  It was quite an emotional story, and it made me think about my purpose.  Watch their story with me – Carry On ESPN E:60.
I am a teacher, so my purpose it to teach you this year, right?  Partially right.  My job means so much more to me than just teaching you this year.  My job is to build a relationship with you, push you when you don’t want to be pushed, pick you up when you fail, and celebrate with you when you succeed…not only this year but forever.  Before I even knew you at the beginning of the year, I told you I will always cheer for you.  My job doesn’t end with you in May.  Rather, it’s a lifelong commitment!              
Now it’s your turn to think about your purpose.  How do you want to make a difference in this world?  How do you plan to be successful?  It’s never too early to begin with the end in mind!
         We have come so far in such a short amount of time.  Time…don’t I talk about it every week?  Time is a precious resource because we never have enough of it.  I was super nervous to be away from the building for two days, but you all showed me I can trust you.  While you are individually unique and amazing, you are also able to come together as a team to succeed.  What makes you unique and amazing as an individual?  Why do you think our team is so successful?
         We will not be here next Friday, so I won’t have the opportunity to reflect with you.  I want you to know I am so thankful for each of you.  I come to school everyday for each of you because what you don’t know is that you teach me way more than I could ever teach.  Each of you make me a better person.
I will end this letter with a couple quotes from Carry On.  Choose one to talk about.
Dartanyon said, “Making it or not making it, I’m better because of you.”
“I’d rather change this world thank walk on it,” Leroy said.
Lisa ended her presentation by saying, “It’s not about me being great – it’s about me inspiring others to greatness!”
                   Love,                 


Mrs. Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment